HOME | TAKE A TRIP | NICARAGUA | INDIVIDUAL TRIPS
Finca el Peten, HOI’s home base near Jinotega, Nicaragua, is an organic coffee farm with dormitories and dining facilities for volunteers. Located on the shores of Lake Apanás, Finca el Peten is only 20 minutes from the village of Los Robles, where Nicaragua mission trip volunteers participate in community development projects.
This mission trip to Nicaragua includes a visit to the colonial city of Granada, the first European city in mainland America, and potential additional trips to the Nicaraguan coast and volcanic sites.
Nicaragua mission trips are available for groups of 10-18 individuals. If you would like to participate in a Nicaragua mission trip but are not part of a group, you may sign up for one of HOI’s Individual Trips. To learn more, please contact Laurie Willing.
TYPE OF WORKTeams will work in villages near the town of Jinotega, Nicaragua. There volunteers will partner with local residents in community development projects such as building latrines, concrete floors, and chimneys. Additionally, groups will interact with local children by playing games, doing crafts, and teaching Bible lessons.
EXCURSIONSIncluded in HOI’s mission trips to Nicaragua is a one-day, two-night trip to the colonial city of Granada at the end of the work week. During their stay groups will take a boat tour on Lake Nicaragua around islands created by the eruption of Mt. Mombacho 20,000 years ago. In the afternoon, group members may choose (at additional cost) between a canopy tour on Mt. Mombacho, a visit to the active volcano Masaya, or a carriage or foot tour of Granada.
PRICINGThe fee to participate in a mission trip to Nicaragua is $1200 per person, due at least four weeks before departure. Included in this fee are:
• Travel accident and liability insurance coverage.
• Transportation from the Managua airport to and from Finca el Peten and Granada.
• Leadership by a bilingual HOI staff member who meets each team at the airport and stays with the group until its departure from Nicaragua.
• Overnight accommodations for the week, including two hotel stays in Granada and five nights at Finca el Peten.
• All meals while in-country.
• Beverages with meals.
• Purified or bottled water while at Finca el Peten.
• Building supplies for the work project in the host village.
• Boat tour of Lake Nicaragua.
• Tips to the porters at the airport upon arrival and departure.
This fee does not include:
• Airfare: Each team or individual is responsible for purchasing their own flights to and from Managua.
• The mandatory $10 entrance fee which will be collected at immigration upon arrival in the Managua airport.
• Souvenirs and snacks.
• Any charges incurred at the hotel in Granada, including items used from the mini-bar and telephone calls.
• Optional afternoon excursions in Granada (approximately $35 each).
• Additional travel insurance (strongly recommended).
• Mandatory $42 departure tax, if applicable. Most airlines include this tax in the price of the ticket; if the tax is not included in the ticket, payment can be made at the airline counter upon departure.
SAFETYVolunteer safety is a top priority for HOI, and our staff does all that it can to ensure that all travelers remain out of harm’s way. In accordance with U.S. State Department recommendations, HOI takes the following precautions (among others) to ensure the safety of our Nicaragua mission teams:
• Team members are discouraged from going out after dark and are instructed to stay together in groups when they leave the hotels during the daytime.
• Team members are reminded not to wear clothing or jewelry that will attract attention.
• Team members are discouraged from displaying electronic devices.
• Team members are discouraged from buying counterfeit and pirated goods, or items that are illegal to take into the U.S. such as Cuban cigars.
• Both HOI personnel and visitors are encouraged to always be on guard, attentive and careful to follow all safety rules, as is necessary in any developing country as well as in many parts of developed countries.
To take the next step, click here and let us know you’re interested!